We produce endocannabinoids within our body naturally, and this is not linked to the use of marijuana, even those who do not use medical cannabis produces endocannabinoids. There are also other plants that have cannabinoids, but none compares to cannabis in versatility. The endocannabinoid system is linked to our immune response, anxiety, sleep, emotion, pain, locomotion, cardiovascular and respiratory functions, intraocular pressure, inflammation, reproduction, sex, remodeling of neural circuits, formation of new memories, extinction of traumatic memories, neuroprotection, neurogenesis, motor perception and coordination, flow of thoughts, creativity and so on.
Every human has an endocannabinoid system in the brain. If you sleep, eat, forget things, relax, it means that you have used your endocannabinoid system.
The endocannabinoid system is composed of cannabinoid receptors, endogenous cannabinoids and molecules related to the inactivation of endogenous cannabinoids. This system regulates important functions in mammals.
Things you should know about the endocannabinoid system:
- Endocannabinoid system is present in all animals: As a human, we find ourselves specially gifted, but not with endocannabinoid, as all vertebrates and invertebrates have ECS.
- Endocannabinoid is neuromodulatory receptors that are in abundance: Endocannabinoid receptors are more than any other neuromodulatory receptor our body has, including dopamine or serotonin.
- ECS plays a role at diseases: ECS is responsible for getting balance in the body. It is seen that ECS plays a great role in a lot of diseases. It might be rheumatoid arthritis, cancer or neurodegenerative disorders, ECS tries to bring the body in balance.
- ECS deficiency may cause disease: Your body is functioning well when ECS functions properly, but if ECS is dysfunctional you can become hypersensitive to pain and stimulus. You can get fibromyalgia, IBS and migraines.
- ECS shows how cannabinoids or cannabis has therapeutic effect: At an ancient age, it is documented that a lot of diseases like nausea, depression, pain, arthritis, headaches and epilepsy were treated using cannabis. After science came to know about ECS, now they know why cannabis was used for treatment purpose, and that cannabinoids have therapeutic effects.